12 June 2019

Storm Child by Melanie Mason







Melanie is an author, designer, photographer, and flight attendant all rolled into one. She has told stories all her life and finds her passion in sharing the plots that spin through her head. She now lives in Portland, Oregon, with her two dachshund-chihuahua dogs. She loves the beauty of the Pacific Northwest that feeds her imagination.

When no one is listening, Melanie loves to belt Broadway songs in her living room and car. Someday she hopes to be on a flight where someone is reading her book.






To escape capture by Imperial soldiers, 16-year-old Eridale Storm leaves the only home she’s ever known and drags her younger sister into the wilds of Mericon—the Empire that formed when America collapsed. Hoping to find safety with their mother who disappeared when Eridale was three, the girls follow clues that lead them across the country, but the empire hounds their every step.

The journey draws Eridale deeper into the conflict between the Empire and the rebel Freedom Fighters, producing questions about Eridale’s heritage, questions no one wants to answer.

Caught between the threads of deception, rebellion, and betrayal, Eridale struggles to find out who she is. The answers she finds could lead the country back to freedom or shackle them under the imperial throne forever.

This is book 1 of a 4 book series and not a stand-alone book.





Snippet:

A painful moan leaves my lips in lieu of a reply. Tears of betrayal stream down my cheeks, and my chest aches like I’ve been skewered by a thousand arrows. When I reach the beach, the first touches of dawn streak across the eastern sky. In the dim light I can’t see the boat but the tell- tale splash of feet in the water and muted grunts tells me a boat has come to shore.
            When I locate the group, I march up to the small dinghy and rip the scarf from my head, letting my red hair tumble out. The breeze catches it and furls it out like a flag. My pale skin stands out like a beacon against the dark clothing. Not surprisingly, the men stare. All my tears disappear.

            I throw my shoulders back and lift my chin. “I am Eridale Storm, and I request passage on your ship to the western shore of the gulf.”





To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page