14 November 2019

Anandajit Goswami Interviews


One day a man, a woman and a transgender get a call for police Investigation at the police station regarding an unintended, serendipitous accident. Police investigates the matter and call the three people in the police station. The three - a man, a woman and a transgender wait in the counselling centre without even knowing how their lives are interconnected with an event of watching the film "PINK " in the same theatre on the same day in the same show. Their stories and mysteries unfold in the counselling room of the police station and a connecting link between their stories is established. The mystery is associated with the film they watched and the time during which they watched it. What finally happens ?; - "The three get trapped more or move on with their lives or do they collude to come out of this and create a new move against the police to come out and chart out their own journey by being friends" . This story is all about these magical mysteries of life which are unexplained in their own ways and how they get more revealed when three lives with different sexual and gender orientations criss cross each other in a police investigation in the police counselling room.


Interview
  1. When did you decide to become a writer?
I am not a writer as of now. I am just trying to find out a way of expressing myself in a continuous reflective mode by introspecting on the history of incremental change that is happening within me and in my relationship with the entire ecosystem around me everyday and every moment. I don't exactly know when I have started doing it as it happened quite naturally just like the process of one season coming and being replaced by either. However, in that process, there were also human induced climate change impacts which often delayed the onset of one seasonality:). 

  1. What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I just want to continue expressing myself by breaking my fear at every stage of the next step by getting a deep clarity inside of the “Why” of a certain reflection, communication and expression. That’s it. Rest, will follow. 

  1. Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
One of the characters named is called - Shopno. He /She/Zhe does dream all the time and that is very special. These dreams are not always cosy dreams but Shapno takes the ride into those dreams and evolves being special every time. 

  1. Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I divide the entire day into - 2 hours of slices. In those time slices, writing for my research, current, future research projects, reading notes, for my classroom and teaching pedagogy, for my papers, my blogs, my writing practice, my music and also my book comes in along with homework notes about understanding my audience every time.  Once upon a time, in these time slices, there was also a film script writing process which for sometime now is in a halt. 

  1. Where do the ideas come from?
I get reflections but not ideas exactly. I think through those reflections again and again till an idea is germinated. Reflections come from all around - from every animate and inanimate aspects of life if we are open and ready with a mind which is just like a blotting paper. When, exactly these reflections become an idea, i really can't say about that. 

  1. Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I do structure plot, outline all the time and keep on changing it too all the time. My plots and outlines constantly talk to the process of conversion of reflection to an idea until finally something concrete is born. What, when and where that concretisation happens is always uncertain. I allow my instincts to decide when that final concretisation has happened to the process. But yes, there is a constant process and structure of interaction between my plots, outlines and my reflections and ideas. 

  1. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?
Don't think too much about it. Be your natural self and let yourself evolve through several other aspects of life which will automatically reduce the dreaded writer’s block. We don't need to overdo or over think about it, as it is a very natural aspect of life. We have to accept it and grow. 

  1. What can we expect from you down the line?
I am currently working on a fiction project which deals with the evolution of social, economic and political inequalities, rise of the subaltern through hardship, politics of sexuality, gender, feminism, finance capitalism and a courtroom drama. The fiction project will touch upon all these issues by covering the larger macro- history of India and many developing countries in a plot centric way by intentionally experimenting with the forms of narration. 
I am also working on the third book of the Lucy Series (Lucy and The Train: Tryst with Sustainability, Lucy Meets Artificial Intelligence) with Dr. Debashis Chakraborty who was my coauthor also in - “Lucy Meets Artificial Intelligence”.