26 June 2020

Book Recommendation: The Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas by Sudha Murty


About the book: 

The Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas by Sudha Murty is a poignant tale of two men, Venkatesh and Mukesh, as they set out on a journey to find out the mothers they never knew. Both men are happy and settled in their respective lives when they come across a shocking truth.

The two men are bound by the same dilemma and the same complexity of emotions. And it is important for them to find their way back to bring stability in their lives. The core interest of the book is in exploring if it is really possible to come to terms with reality as blaring and as deceiving as that of Venkatesh and Mukesh.

The Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas by Sudha Murty is available in paperback format and was released by Penguin Books Limited in 2014.

Book Name: The Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas 
Author Name: Sudha Murty 
Publication Date: 17 July 2014
Print Length: 216 pages
Publisher: Penguin Books Limited 
Language: English
Purchase Links: Amazon India | Amazon USA


My Thoughts: 

I had received this book as a gift from my friend in the year 2014. I read it back then, and afterward, it was lying on my bookshelf. Recently I was cleaning my bookshelf and rediscovered the book, and started reading it. I did remember both the stories roughly, still, I enjoyed it like a homesick girl eats a food cook by her mother.

Rather than the story of the book, I will talk about how the story makes me feel. For both the stories, the protagonist is beautifully described and one can easily relate to them. It's like, you know them for a long time, maybe a friend or a relative.

Although this falls in the drama genre, however, when the protagonist is trying to discover the truth, it gives a feeling of suspense.

Another amazing part of the book is the well-described characters. One can easily understand each character of both the stories, even if they appear on one page or one line. This is the brilliance of Sudha Murty, able to give a clear view of every character, even with very few sentences dedicated to them.

The book took me back to my childhood when I used to read Bengali novels on lazy afternoons and fell in love with each story. Both the stories are short in length, still, capture a wide range of life, various characters of different ages, backgrounds, ethnicity, and social-economical background. And within these short stories, the reader will travel to various parts of India and meet characters of different colors.

Personally, I loved this book from its first word till the last and recommend this to everyone.

💓💓💓💓💓


Author Bio:

Sudha Murty began her professional career in computer science and engineering. She a very famous writer all across the globe and wrote many books, namely The Gopi Diaries: Coming Home, Grandma's Bag of Stories, The Magic of the Lost Temple, and many more. She is the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation and a member of the public health care initiatives of the Gates Foundation.  Sudha Murthy is best known for her social work and her contribution to literature in Kannada and English.

Catch up with Sudha Murty On: